Wednesday, August 06, 2014

A Shelter and A Rock


"Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings." (Psalm 61:1-4 NKJ)

We go through life focusing on our "overwhelming" situations. We focus on the times we cry. And in all cases, we want God to be there for us. "Hear my cry! Attend to my prayer!" And he never fails us.

Listen to the Psalmist as he promises God. From every place on earth I go, I'll pray to you. When my heart doesn't know what to say, I'll wait on you. Ands in those times, Lord, "lead me to the rock that is higher than I am."

Listen as the Psalmist worships God. You have always been my shelter. You have always been my tower of strength and safety. I'm going to stay in your house forever! You are my shelter! I'm going to trust you!

I'm reminded of Moses who said, "If you don't go with us we're not going." It reminds me of Ruth who said, "I am going where you go, but don't ask me to turn back." It reminds me of Saul of Tarsus who said, "What would you have me do?"

I am so blessed to have been reared in a Christian home . . . to have parents who taught me to go to God in times of stress and distress. He has the answer to all my questions and the solutions to all my problems. I confidently say with the Psalmist: "I will abide in your tabernacle forever; I will trust you!"

Dear Father, thank you for being my shelter and higher rock. Empower me with the confidence to always bring my overwhelmed heart to you. I pray this in the name of Jesus. AMEN

Romans 8:31-39

 

No comments: